Skip to main content

Mental Illness and Young Adults: Part I

(Disclaimer: I am not a mental health professional. I'm sure professionals in this arena would have a lot to add but this blog is commentary based on a training I took part in at work. I don't claim to have all the answers or knowledge, it's just commentary and opinion. This is a two part blog because I had so much to say about this topic that I broke it into two parts. Part II will dive into the "why" kids are struggling with mental illness.)

Part 1: 

I recently had a great opportunity at work to participate in a training called the Student Support Network. The training was developed at WPI and is used by many colleges across the nation. It was initially created for students, including resident hall assistants, to teach them how to be an effective support system for their fellow students. To learn warning signs of mental illness/suicide, and how to connect friends to support resources like the counseling center if necessary. It was developed in response to sharp increases in the numbers of students who were struggling to cope with the transition from high school to college but also because the increase in students suffering from mental illness. The idea was to train the "boots on the ground", aka: the students, to help each other cope.

My campus is also offering this training now to staff, coaches and faculty because we spend the majority of our time with students in some capacity and it is becoming increasingly normal for students to disclose their issues, or mental illness, to staff or faculty. The idea is to train staff and faculty to recognize certain behaviors and issues so we too can direct students to get help when necessary and also learn to set healthy boundaries with these students who seem to have none when it comes to their mental illnesses.

The training ran for seven weeks and it was intense. We learned about depression, suicide, anxiety, as well as other types of mental illness. We learned what to do if someone had a psychotic break in front of us and how to deescalate someone on the brink of a meltdown. Now, about 22 years ago, I worked in a group home for at-risk teenage girls so I had a lot of this type of training when I worked there. But this time it was different. 

Maybe because back then those girls had horrible home lives - addicted mothers, abusive fathers and I guess I understood why they were so tortured. I would be depressed too if my father and brother raped me repeatedly. Or if at fifteen, my heroin addicted mother left me alone for days on end and I found comfort in the arms of her forty-year-old drug dealer. Or maybe it's because I'm older, or that I have daughters in this age group. I don't know.  

I would leave the training with a pit in my stomach each Tuesday. That pit was a feeling of helplessness and a feeling of sadness and those feelings would linger for a few days. I became acutely aware that these tortured souls were walking along side me as I walked across campus. I now find myself looking around wondering which one of them is going to have a complete psychotic break right before my eyes or is planning to end their life later in the day. As a parent of a college freshman, I can’t help but think who amongst her peers will have a psychotic break in front of her eyes or who she knows that will end their life.

Right now on my small campus, about a quarter of the students (and climbing) are in treatment at the campus counseling center. This is a fifty percent increase from just a few short years ago. 

Mostly all of those students have some sort of serious mental illness - schizophrenia, psychotic disorders, bipolar, bulimia, anorexia, panic disorder. A slightly smaller percentage have less serious disorders like anxiety, social phobias, attention deficit disorder, personality disorders, etc. Then there are those students who seek treatment because they don’t know how to resolve conflict with a roommate or professor, or maybe can’t deal with stress brought on by being away from home or receiving their first “bad” grade.

The director also mentioned that a small, but increasing, number of students are coming to the center because they are severely burnt out from trying to manage their peer's mental issues. Whether that is staying up all night on suicide watch, resetting a roommate’s nose after he breaks it on purpose when he’s feeling stressed, or having to manage/pick up after friends who struggle with substance abuse.

No matter what, everyone is suffering from mental illness in some way.

We were told about a survey done in 2017 of 161,000 college students (I will try to find this survey and link it once I get it). Out of the 161,000 students surveyed 39% reported that in the last year they had been so severely depressed that they couldn’t function. 21% reported that they had considered ending their life. 2% reported they had attempted ending their life.

Just let that sink in.

39% - 63,000 kids - were so depressed they couldn’t function.

Can’t function.

21% - 34,000 kids - reported that they had considered ending their life.

Considered it. 

2% - 3,220 kids - attempted ending their life.

Attempted it.

Yet, as the director pointed out, most of these kids who are suffering somehow continue to function. They are high academic achievers. They appear to “have it all together.” They get good grades, do internships, and receive accolades.

Unfortunately, my campus isn’t the only campus seeing upticks in these numbers. It is happening across the nation on all campuses and professors are on the front line. Students are not shy to disclose their mental illness/diagnoses in the middle of class. For example, declaring in class that they can’t participate in a discussion because it will “trigger” a psychotic break. Okay....you can leave class if you need to....

If you are a parent of a child 18-25 you may be shocked to read some of the statistics above. Knowing that your kid could be one of the 39% - so depressed they can't function - right now. Or one of the 21% - have recently considered ending their life - right now. Or, one of the 2% - have attempted to end their life recently. Because as I've learned, neither the campus counseling center nor campus administrators are allowed (by law) to tell you if your child went in an ambulance for alcohol or drug overdose, or may have spent the weekend in a hospital for evaluation due to a psychotic break. It's up to the adult child to do that and if they don't want you to know, you won't.

If you are a parent of a child who suffers from mental illness, I can’t imagine the worry you must go through every day wondering if your child will be all right. Especially now that they are adults and can decide to end treatment or medication without telling you. My heart is with you. For those who have kids that struggle at school or home for any reason, my heart is with you too. It’s not easy watching our kids go through something painful. We just want to help make it all better, but sometimes we can’t.

Our children are living in a very different world than we did. And it has nothing to do with social media. Mental illness is rampant and our children are going to school with peers who are on the brink of psychotic breaks. Maybe they are on the brink themselves. And while your kid may be one of those students who doesn't suffer from mental illness, they are exposed to it much more than we ever were. In fact, I would argue they deal with it more than we do right now in our daily lives. I worry about these kids just as much as the others. I certainly didn't realize how prevalent mental illness is for this age group and it breaks my heart. Not just for the kids who are dealing with mental illness but for the kids who aren't but live with it day in and day out because their peers are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good riddance 2017!

“We lose connection with our realness when others have standards on how we should be.”  Tara Brach I’d like to say a big F-you, sayonora, and good riddance to 2017 but my therapist says that’s not nice. She says that without all the tough lessons I had this year, I would not have grown. And...she’s right (but don’t tell her that...) Every day I choose an Angel Card (see link) to give me a word, something to contemplate and guide me as the day goes on. Each year on New Year’s Day, I chose a theme word for the year and then I review it on the last day of the year. Last January I got "Education". To be honest, when I picked it, I was a little disappointed. I guess I thought the word was boring. I’m sure my angels were laughing at me then. They knew what they were doing, as always, because I definitely got an education this year! I got my PhD in me and let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. 2017 was a year of transitions at home and work. It was

The infectious quality of joy lies within

"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls." Mother Theresa I had someone say to me the other day that this world has no joy. Just sit with that one for a minute. No joy? Doesn’t that sound hopeless? I was left with this empty feeling in my heart and her words have reverberated in my head ever since. No joy? How sad is that?   I think that she was referring to the relentless negative news that fills our newsfeeds and how beat down she felt by it all. The media - mainstream or social - is a constant barrage of all that is wrong with the world. Climate change/natural disasters, sexual predators, shootings, animal cruelty, war, insane dictators armed with nuclear weapons....it just goes on and on. If you focus on all of that then I can imagine how one might feel there is no joy in the world. A few years ago, I bought a mantra band that says, “Choose Joy.” I wear it often as a reminder that joy is a choice. It's not something you should take for gran

Be true to yourself

“Something lost? A part of yourself, perhaps? That which you seek, inside you will find.” - Yoda I saw the new Star Wars movie a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much mostly because it had a very spiritual, and timely, message of hope. It also had a message that the power to change anything, or overcome darkness, comes from within. Star Wars has always been about the struggle between good and evil both in the universe and with its character's internal struggles. Some struggled more than others, like Anakin Skywalker, aka: Darth Vader. Without getting too much into it, Anakin had a strong force - of good - within him when Qui-Gon Jinn, the Jedi Master, discovered the young boy. Jinn said that the force within Anakin was so strong that he was the “chosen one”, the one they’d been waiting for to restore balance in the galaxy. And then.... Anakin turned and went to the dark side, which ultimately greatly upset the balance. If you've watched all the movies, you know