Skip to main content

The infectious quality of joy lies within

"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls." Mother Theresa

I had someone say to me the other day that this world has no joy. Just sit with that one for a minute. No joy? Doesn’t that sound hopeless? I was left with this empty feeling in my heart and her words have reverberated in my head ever since. No joy? How sad is that? 

I think that she was referring to the relentless negative news that fills our newsfeeds and how beat down she felt by it all. The media - mainstream or social - is a constant barrage of all that is wrong with the world. Climate change/natural disasters, sexual predators, shootings, animal cruelty, war, insane dictators armed with nuclear weapons....it just goes on and on. If you focus on all of that then I can imagine how one might feel there is no joy in the world.

A few years ago, I bought a mantra band that says, “Choose Joy.” I wear it often as a reminder that joy is a choice. It's not something you should take for granted and it’s definitely not something that you should wait around for it to show up.

Joy is a result, aka: an emotion, caused by some human experience. The Merriam Webster dictionary defines joy as an emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune by the prospect of possessing what one desires. I think that within that definition lies people’s misunderstanding of joy.

I believe that joy isn’t something you experience only as a result of your own well-being, success, or good fortune. I believe that you can watch someone else succeed or experience good fortune and feel joy. Animals are a good example of joy being experienced through another. Watching my dog roll around in the snow gives me pure joy because he looks so happy doing it!

The act of giving can bring you joy too, and it can be infectious. For example, when people pay for someone’s order behind them in the drive through restaurant. Just knowing that the stranger behind you will experience joy when they hear that their order has been paid for can leave you feeling joy all day long. The fact that you “gave” joy to someone else often causes them to want to give that feeling to another, and so on and so on.

I feel joy most when watching my kids play sports. I can practically feel my heart expand with joy watching them get a goal or a hit or a basket. It's such a strong feeling that can often bring me to tears because the joy is so overwhelming. Music also gives me joy, especially when I’m driving and a great tune comes on. I turn the radio up and sing loudly, even if I don't know all the words. When I’m cooking and a great song comes on, I can’t help but dance! When the song ends, I’m breathless and smiling and I feel so full of joy. Reading a great book can bring me joy too. Most recently, I read “A Man Called Ove.” If you want to feel pure joy, read that book. It is a heartwarming story full of characters that will stay with you long after you finish it. 

Those are just some examples, but I’m sure if you think about it, you could come up with at least three things that give you joy. Next, try to figure out the last time you experienced those things. Joy is like gratitude, you have to practice it. If you aren’t experiencing joy in your life, it’s because you aren’t allowing it to enter into your sphere of consciousness.

Joy might seem like a small, three-letter, insignificant word but it can bring tremendous feelings of happiness and hope with an infectious quality. So pay attention to what gives you joy and go do it! Give it! Share it!

And please, let me know what gives you joy. I’d love to hear from you.

As ever, and Namaste.


Kathy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good riddance 2017!

“We lose connection with our realness when others have standards on how we should be.”  Tara Brach I’d like to say a big F-you, sayonora, and good riddance to 2017 but my therapist says that’s not nice. She says that without all the tough lessons I had this year, I would not have grown. And...she’s right (but don’t tell her that...) Every day I choose an Angel Card (see link) to give me a word, something to contemplate and guide me as the day goes on. Each year on New Year’s Day, I chose a theme word for the year and then I review it on the last day of the year. Last January I got "Education". To be honest, when I picked it, I was a little disappointed. I guess I thought the word was boring. I’m sure my angels were laughing at me then. They knew what they were doing, as always, because I definitely got an education this year! I got my PhD in me and let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. 2017 was a year of transitions at home and work. It was

Be true to yourself

“Something lost? A part of yourself, perhaps? That which you seek, inside you will find.” - Yoda I saw the new Star Wars movie a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much mostly because it had a very spiritual, and timely, message of hope. It also had a message that the power to change anything, or overcome darkness, comes from within. Star Wars has always been about the struggle between good and evil both in the universe and with its character's internal struggles. Some struggled more than others, like Anakin Skywalker, aka: Darth Vader. Without getting too much into it, Anakin had a strong force - of good - within him when Qui-Gon Jinn, the Jedi Master, discovered the young boy. Jinn said that the force within Anakin was so strong that he was the “chosen one”, the one they’d been waiting for to restore balance in the galaxy. And then.... Anakin turned and went to the dark side, which ultimately greatly upset the balance. If you've watched all the movies, you know