Skip to main content

Are you ready to get naked?

“We can’t avoid pain, but we can transform our response to it.” - Sharon Salzberg 

In my last blog post, I wrote about the masks we wear. Some may have been left wondering, what the hell is a mask, and what the heck does she mean she can see it?

A mask is invisible, protective armor we wear to cover up our pain.

.....to cover up our pain.....

We all have pain. And don't we know it by the amount of shootings, suicides, drug overdoses, divorces, etc. that happen every day. We are all hurting. A mask is our ego's way of protecting us from having to deal with our pain. Put on the mask and viola! the pain is gone. Or so we think. The pain never goes away until it's dealt with. 

You name it, there’s a mask for it. Here are some popular masks that I see every day.

The perfection mask.
The jealousy mask.
The “I’m fine” mask.
The people pleasing mask.
The pillar of strength mask.
The angry mask.


When I see someone trying so hard to be perfect, I see the pain inside that is telling them they aren’t enough. Whether that happened in childhood, or has manifested in adulthood from being so overwhelmed by life, doesn't matter. Perfection does not exist. It is just an illusion. Struggling to be perfect is a never ending cycle. 

When I see someone being jealous, I see the pain inside of someone who is so afraid of not being lovable. That "unloveable-ness" causes them to desperately control others, which never ends well.

When I see someone wearing the “I’m fine” mask, I see the pain of someone trying so hard keep it all together and thinking they have to do it alone. I see someone denying the pain that's there, hidden down deep.

When I see someone wearing  the people pleasing mask, I see the pain of someone unsure of who they are and who doesn’t even know where to begin knowing. I see someone so scared that even if they do find out who they are, that no one will love them.

When I see someone wearing the pillar of strength mask, I see the pain of someone so afraid to ask for help for fear that they will be seen as weak. Because being weak means you're failing.

When I see the angry mask, I see someone desperate for their unmet need to be heard, to be respected, to be valued.

I see people in pain everywhere and all these people are denying the pain they are in. It’s not to say that you should go around telling everyone about your pain. It should be saved for someone trusted, like a friend or a therapist.  The problem is that no one wants to deal with their pain. It’s too painful! Or is it?

Sometimes just being seen is all you need for the pain to begin to dissipate. I love the saying, sharing is caring because, well, it’s true! That’s why support groups work. Because you get to see that you aren’t alone, that your pain may be terrible but someone else may be experiencing something even more painful. Not only that, but sharing your greatest pain with others allows you to unload the backpack full of excess weight that you carry around. By sharing your pain you allow others to help you carry it. In other words, sharing your pain doesn’t take away the pain, but it helps lessen the load.

Why is it so damn hard to admit your pain?

Well, part of it is that we don’t want to burden anyone else with our problems. Everyone has enough of their own problems, they don’t need mine! The other part is because we all have an aversion to being helped.

Sharon Salzberg says, “We can’t avoid pain, but we can transform our response to it.” What she means is that pain is an inevitable part of the human experience but we have a choice as to how we respond to that pain. We can deny it and wear our masks all the time, or we can acknowledge the pain, be with the pain, and learn to heal from the pain.

You might be wondering, if I share my pain I’ll be fully exposed then! Naked for everyone to judge! That’s seems way too scary. I’ll keep my masks on, thank you very much.

Well, what if everyone was naked and didn’t give a rat’s ass about your nakedness? What if we all lived from a place of deep connection, of truly seeing each other and there was no pain? What if living from an authentic place allowed you to experience greater love?

So...are you ready to get naked? Take some time today to see if you can acknowledge and name your masks. That is the first step. I will post another blog soon about the steps after that. 

In the meantime, and as always, if you need help, or a listening ear, please get in touch. Also, feel free to use the contact form to send me an anonymous question and I will answer it on the blog.

As ever, and namaste. 

Kathy 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good riddance 2017!

“We lose connection with our realness when others have standards on how we should be.”  Tara Brach I’d like to say a big F-you, sayonora, and good riddance to 2017 but my therapist says that’s not nice. She says that without all the tough lessons I had this year, I would not have grown. And...she’s right (but don’t tell her that...) Every day I choose an Angel Card (see link) to give me a word, something to contemplate and guide me as the day goes on. Each year on New Year’s Day, I chose a theme word for the year and then I review it on the last day of the year. Last January I got "Education". To be honest, when I picked it, I was a little disappointed. I guess I thought the word was boring. I’m sure my angels were laughing at me then. They knew what they were doing, as always, because I definitely got an education this year! I got my PhD in me and let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. 2017 was a year of transitions at home and work. It was

The infectious quality of joy lies within

"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls." Mother Theresa I had someone say to me the other day that this world has no joy. Just sit with that one for a minute. No joy? Doesn’t that sound hopeless? I was left with this empty feeling in my heart and her words have reverberated in my head ever since. No joy? How sad is that?   I think that she was referring to the relentless negative news that fills our newsfeeds and how beat down she felt by it all. The media - mainstream or social - is a constant barrage of all that is wrong with the world. Climate change/natural disasters, sexual predators, shootings, animal cruelty, war, insane dictators armed with nuclear weapons....it just goes on and on. If you focus on all of that then I can imagine how one might feel there is no joy in the world. A few years ago, I bought a mantra band that says, “Choose Joy.” I wear it often as a reminder that joy is a choice. It's not something you should take for gran

Be true to yourself

“Something lost? A part of yourself, perhaps? That which you seek, inside you will find.” - Yoda I saw the new Star Wars movie a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much mostly because it had a very spiritual, and timely, message of hope. It also had a message that the power to change anything, or overcome darkness, comes from within. Star Wars has always been about the struggle between good and evil both in the universe and with its character's internal struggles. Some struggled more than others, like Anakin Skywalker, aka: Darth Vader. Without getting too much into it, Anakin had a strong force - of good - within him when Qui-Gon Jinn, the Jedi Master, discovered the young boy. Jinn said that the force within Anakin was so strong that he was the “chosen one”, the one they’d been waiting for to restore balance in the galaxy. And then.... Anakin turned and went to the dark side, which ultimately greatly upset the balance. If you've watched all the movies, you know