Skip to main content

Hijacked by feelings - by Kathy Sloan

You cannot think your way out of a box made of thoughts - Krishna Das

Have you ever been by hijacked by emotion? I talking about the kind of hijacking that happens when you least expect it. You’re going along with your day, just fine, and BAM! you hear someone say something, or you read something, or you hear a song that evokes strong emotions such as grief, anger, or maybe, if you’re lucky, love.

I was going about my day a couple of weeks ago feeling pretty good. I had some stress but it was low-level stress and so I wasn’t overly anxious or sensitive. Then, in a moment of downtime, I checked Facebook. I read something that someone had written and suddenly I felt intense sadness. Intense isn’t even doing the feeling justice. It was overwhelming. The person’s innocuous post about something they were going through (that was similar to something I went through recently) brought back feelings of grief that were lying just beneath my surface.

I had dealt with my grief, as one should, by allowing it to happen. I had sat with my grief, talked about my grief, and dissected my grief. I had let my tears cleanse my soul. Or so I’d thought.

The thing about grief is that it doesn’t ever really go away. Because grief is the evidence that you have loved. Even when you think you’ve dealt with it “properly,” grief is always there waiting for that one quiet moment to resurface.

Grief reminds you that you are human. A human who feels. A human whose ego loves to trick the soul into thinking that it can rationalize our feelings and put them in a box, never to been heard from again.

I know people say time heals, but time is just an illusion. No amount of time will heal anything without some kind of action. A wound doesn’t heal with time. The body has an active - invisible - process that heals the wound. It is an active, not a passive process.  

The same is true with feelings. You can’t ignore feelings and think that time will whisk them away. Feelings need to be dealt with and sometimes they need to be dealt with over and over until the wound is fully healed.  

Feelings are nothing more than an indication of something that needs attention. Anger signifies an unmet need. Grief signifies a change that you don’t want. Fear signifies a call to action, or reflection. I happen to like grief. I think it is the greatest reminder of love that we have. And love is all that matters. Even if that love has taken new forms - as in death, for example. 

The one thing I know for sure is that you can’t think your way out of feeling. Krishna Das says, “You cannot think your way out of a box made of thoughts.” Our human egos - which I believe are in place to protect our souls - love to think they are in charge. The ego is a rational entity that uses logic. Feelings are not logical. 

The day I was hijacked was a moment for me to remember that my house guest (grief) hasn’t left. I just didn't realize how close to the surface my grief still was. It isn’t ready to leave just yet. There's still some things that need to be addressed. For me, it's forgiveness and I'll get there, I am getting there. Not everything has quick fixes.

Take some time, especially during the holiday season, to watch where and when your feelings get hijacked over the next few weeks. I’d love to hear what you experience. And, if you need help understanding your feelings, get in touch! I’d love to help you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good riddance 2017!

“We lose connection with our realness when others have standards on how we should be.”  Tara Brach I’d like to say a big F-you, sayonora, and good riddance to 2017 but my therapist says that’s not nice. She says that without all the tough lessons I had this year, I would not have grown. And...she’s right (but don’t tell her that...) Every day I choose an Angel Card (see link) to give me a word, something to contemplate and guide me as the day goes on. Each year on New Year’s Day, I chose a theme word for the year and then I review it on the last day of the year. Last January I got "Education". To be honest, when I picked it, I was a little disappointed. I guess I thought the word was boring. I’m sure my angels were laughing at me then. They knew what they were doing, as always, because I definitely got an education this year! I got my PhD in me and let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. 2017 was a year of transitions at home and work. It was

The infectious quality of joy lies within

"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls." Mother Theresa I had someone say to me the other day that this world has no joy. Just sit with that one for a minute. No joy? Doesn’t that sound hopeless? I was left with this empty feeling in my heart and her words have reverberated in my head ever since. No joy? How sad is that?   I think that she was referring to the relentless negative news that fills our newsfeeds and how beat down she felt by it all. The media - mainstream or social - is a constant barrage of all that is wrong with the world. Climate change/natural disasters, sexual predators, shootings, animal cruelty, war, insane dictators armed with nuclear weapons....it just goes on and on. If you focus on all of that then I can imagine how one might feel there is no joy in the world. A few years ago, I bought a mantra band that says, “Choose Joy.” I wear it often as a reminder that joy is a choice. It's not something you should take for gran

Be true to yourself

“Something lost? A part of yourself, perhaps? That which you seek, inside you will find.” - Yoda I saw the new Star Wars movie a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much mostly because it had a very spiritual, and timely, message of hope. It also had a message that the power to change anything, or overcome darkness, comes from within. Star Wars has always been about the struggle between good and evil both in the universe and with its character's internal struggles. Some struggled more than others, like Anakin Skywalker, aka: Darth Vader. Without getting too much into it, Anakin had a strong force - of good - within him when Qui-Gon Jinn, the Jedi Master, discovered the young boy. Jinn said that the force within Anakin was so strong that he was the “chosen one”, the one they’d been waiting for to restore balance in the galaxy. And then.... Anakin turned and went to the dark side, which ultimately greatly upset the balance. If you've watched all the movies, you know