Skip to main content

Are you ready to take off your mask?

“The soul speaks its truth only under quiet, inviting, and trustworthy conditions.” - Parker Palmer 

Who are you? Do you even know?

Authenticity is something I value tremendously, but not everyone knows what being authentic means. Not only that, but even if you do know what it means, it can be scary to live from that place.

Openness and vulnerability aren’t valued in our culture. Somewhere along the line, we were taught to hide behind masks and become the people we think people want us, or need, us to be. 

Don’t show your weakness! Don’t ask for help! Don’t be anything less than perfect! Don’t cry in public! Don’t tell anyone you did that! Don’t tell anyone you are scared! I could go on, but you get the point. We spend all of our time hiding our true self, afraid to be judged. Even worse, we don’t even know who our true self is.

Take some time to ask yourself, who am I? What do you come up with? You might say, I’m a teacher or a parent or ­­­(fill in the blank). But that isn’t who you are. Those things are hats you wear. Who you really are is the you deep down inside. The being that yearns for love, acceptance, and to be truly seen.

So you may be asking: what’s so wrong with wearing a mask? Masks can be protective! Yes, yes they can. The problem is that sometimes the mask starts to overtake you and you lose your true self in the process. Think Jim Carey in the movie...The Mask. In an attempt to conceal who he was in order to gain access to a club, Stanley (Carey) found a mask to wear. Except the mask gave him crazy (aka evil) superpowers. I’ll spare the details but ultimately he became so attached to the mask and its powers that he began to lose the sense of who he was and what he really wanted, which was the love of a woman.

Being attached to our masks is dangerous. Masks stunt the growth we are here to do. Masks also inhibit our ability to have close relationships - to be connected - with others.

As a result, we have the most disconnected society than ever before.

Ironic, isn’t it? The world is literally connected via the internet and yet we don’t even know the person sitting next to us. Nor do we care to know.

The internet provides a safety net (screens) that keeps us protected from others seeing our true emotions. Feelings? Ain’t nobody got time for that!  Therefore, we get to be whomever we want online, in the virtual world where no one gets hurt - or so we think.

The problem is that when we hide behind masks (also known as the false self) we aren’t living from that place of love that resides in all of us. By not addressing our masks, we continue to live non-authentic lives, and worse, we believe that we are alone. 

Parker Palmer writes, “The soul speaks its truth only under quiet, inviting, and trustworthy conditions.” If we don’t give our soul opportunities for quiet reflection or have someone trustworthy to share things with we struggle. We must allow our true selves come through so we can be fully seen, so we can grow and evolve. 

Ever since I can remember, I’ve been able to spot people's masks. While I realize that it is a gift, it’s also a hard cross to bear watching people pretend to be someone they aren’t. It’s also hard to watch people, desperate for love and attention, doing destructive things to themselves and others. It’s even harder when people think their masks are doing a good job hiding their true self when actually it is clear as ice. I think that’s why people feel so comfortable around me, because I’m able to see them - even if they don’t know it.


If you are struggling in any way or want to live a more authentic life, please get in touch. I would be happy to listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good riddance 2017!

“We lose connection with our realness when others have standards on how we should be.”  Tara Brach I’d like to say a big F-you, sayonora, and good riddance to 2017 but my therapist says that’s not nice. She says that without all the tough lessons I had this year, I would not have grown. And...she’s right (but don’t tell her that...) Every day I choose an Angel Card (see link) to give me a word, something to contemplate and guide me as the day goes on. Each year on New Year’s Day, I chose a theme word for the year and then I review it on the last day of the year. Last January I got "Education". To be honest, when I picked it, I was a little disappointed. I guess I thought the word was boring. I’m sure my angels were laughing at me then. They knew what they were doing, as always, because I definitely got an education this year! I got my PhD in me and let me tell you, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. 2017 was a year of transitions at home and work. It was

The infectious quality of joy lies within

"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls." Mother Theresa I had someone say to me the other day that this world has no joy. Just sit with that one for a minute. No joy? Doesn’t that sound hopeless? I was left with this empty feeling in my heart and her words have reverberated in my head ever since. No joy? How sad is that?   I think that she was referring to the relentless negative news that fills our newsfeeds and how beat down she felt by it all. The media - mainstream or social - is a constant barrage of all that is wrong with the world. Climate change/natural disasters, sexual predators, shootings, animal cruelty, war, insane dictators armed with nuclear weapons....it just goes on and on. If you focus on all of that then I can imagine how one might feel there is no joy in the world. A few years ago, I bought a mantra band that says, “Choose Joy.” I wear it often as a reminder that joy is a choice. It's not something you should take for gran

Be true to yourself

“Something lost? A part of yourself, perhaps? That which you seek, inside you will find.” - Yoda I saw the new Star Wars movie a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much mostly because it had a very spiritual, and timely, message of hope. It also had a message that the power to change anything, or overcome darkness, comes from within. Star Wars has always been about the struggle between good and evil both in the universe and with its character's internal struggles. Some struggled more than others, like Anakin Skywalker, aka: Darth Vader. Without getting too much into it, Anakin had a strong force - of good - within him when Qui-Gon Jinn, the Jedi Master, discovered the young boy. Jinn said that the force within Anakin was so strong that he was the “chosen one”, the one they’d been waiting for to restore balance in the galaxy. And then.... Anakin turned and went to the dark side, which ultimately greatly upset the balance. If you've watched all the movies, you know